A charming almost picture book double fronted period local stone cottage of historical importance to Nailsea set in a sought after no through lane at the hub of the old village. The very attractive accommodation has been tastefully updated in recent years creating a home of great character with attractive, well presented accommodation that is enriched with many lovely features and includes a delightful living room with wood burning stove, a superb double aspect open plan 22'7 (6.9m) kitchen dining room, a utility room, 3 good bedrooms and a bathroom. The cottage is approached via a long private drive, the gardens are very private and there is considerable scope for extension if required (subject to planning consent).
The cottage was built in the late XVIIIth century, about 1788 - 90 by Hannah More (1745 -1833) who was an English religious writer and philanthropist. She can be said to have made three reputations in the course of her long life; as a poet and playwright in the circle of Johnson, Reynolds and Garrick, as a writer on moral and religious subjects and as a practical philanthropist.
Born in Brislington, Bristol she was also an educationalist and abolitionist known for her charitable work. She was the daughter of a schoolmaster, and she and two of her sisters founded the Academy for Young Ladies on College Green in 1762.
In 1789 Hannah More established a 'Great School' (as opposed to just a Sunday School) for the workers' children in Nailsea and the ancient Tithe Barn in Old Church Road, Nailsea, just around the corner from this cottage, became a centre of schooling for the next 200 years. She wrote of Nailsea in 1800: ‘We found Nailsea this year most prosperous indeed;...the school full, the heads all attention and civility.’ Oh how history repeats itself that today, Nailsea is still known for good schooling, as is most of North Somerset largely thanks to that foundation.
Miss More and her closest sister Martha must have had remarkable powers of persuasion and clearly had considerable influence such that they were able to persuade the Rector and then the Diocese of Bath and Wells to part with valuable Glebe Land on which to build Glebe Cottage for the school master. It is even more remarkable that in more recent years the cottage has remained unspoiled and it is not listed so, (subject to any necessary consent) allowing scope for substantial enlargement if required.